Tuesday, July 9, 2013

That was then, this is now. Stay gold Pony boy!






Hello Aaron and Andrew,
I met you guys at your stand at the Scroungers Blowout . I like your style and the magazines content you guys are keeping alive the lifestyle we had when we were teenagers in the early 70s messing around in old cars (American of course) and building way out there choppers from Triumphs BSA,s and  when we could find one the odd Indian or Harley ,there was no imported H-Ds way back then.
I promised then (2 years ago) to send pics of my old bike and my ride today.

The 1972 pictures are of my 1946 ULH 1200 cc Flathead chopper,
15inch over springer forks H D 16 inch rear wheel original H D frame with raked neck.
Back legs of the springer were made from 1946 Ford radius rods (same shape and section as HD forks). In those days we made everything ourselves. The gearbox was pre unit Triumph. All Chain drive. Original HD tin covers.

TODAY my scoot is far less out there but just as custom and built from left over or second hand parts and new import parts. Frame is a 1972 Santee hard tail rigid, engine is 1985 EVO 1340 cc HD.
Gearbox ; 1972 revtech 4 speed rachet top kick start.

The scoot rides well is reliable and starts nearly always first kick, (just as well for my old rattly bones.) The die hard purists will say shame its an EVO engine .Fuck them they don’t have to ride it. For me it’s right on!  Reliable and fast enough for me.
I’ve had em all - flatties , Knucklehead, Pans and shovels. The EVO engine is a good engine.

Cheers, Don

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post! I must thank you for this informative read. I hope you will post again soon.
    Kind regard
    Custom Made Gear Box India

    ReplyDelete